Wednesday, July 30, 2008

I'm actually working on it--for real

Life has been incredibly busy, but rest assured I have been working on the novel.
I just haven't had a chance to post anything in a while, so here's a quick info dump.

First and foremost I finished reading my novel [or what was written so far].
While I think it's far better than the shitty drivel I thought I had churned out...it still needs ALOT of work before
anyone can beta it for me. Speaking of betas...if you're interested, let me know.

The things I need to work on:
--Narrative voice. I tried to be fairly neutral, but I think I could jazz it up a bit. So I plan to test some styles
and then rewrite the whole thing in the winning style.
--The villains/supposed villains. Since it dawned on me that my character is "caught in the middle" more
than directly opposing anyone, I need to figure out how the two actually opposing eachother [Othena and Kole]
work and what they really want.
--Plot is too straight. Litterally, despite a minor detour I added, the damn plot still goes in a B-line.
So I'm dropping a giant plot bomb on them to shake it up a lot and throw them off track.
--Purpose of the "quest object". I never knew its real purpose as I wrote the novel and now I really gotta
figure that out. Otherwise my story has no real point and the object is just a catalyst.
--Ambiguous Silas. I have this problem with another one of my plots. I don't know how I want him to act.
So I really need to figure him and his crazy race of peoples out.
--World building. Despite all my imagination I've been hella vague. I need to just decide and commit.
That's my new motto: "decide and commit"

Well that's most of it in a nutshell. We'll see how it goes in a little bit.

Ta!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails